Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Politics

I don't know if I've ever posted about politics on here before, I don't think I have. But nevertheless, I am a huge political junky and a huge current events junky as well. Big news today is that Arlen Specter, the Republican senator from Pennsylvania, is now the Democratic senator from Pennsylvania. Bringing Barack Obama into day 100 on a bang is Sen. Specter.

As a Democratic-leaning person I was delighted to hear this news today, but I question how much it will actually affect things. I doubt Sen. Specter will start voting differently, it's obviously more about appearances than anything else and as someone who prefers the Democrats in power over the Republicans (although I would prefer a more than 2 party system, but that's a longer post and I don't really at all disagree with the original tenants of the Republican party), I'm happy to see anything happy that aides the Democrats.

My main point in posting about Sen. Specter, because obviously I bring nothing new to the discussion, is to enable me to say how much I love Keith Olbermann and Rachel Maddow. I don't think I could watch them every night, but on nights like this, where something has happened and I want to watch the news, they're such a pleasure to listen to. And I get that they're catering to people like me, but whatever, I can enjoy it. And they're smart and funny and intelligent, so what's wrong with them?

And this now allows me to segue into how much I love Nate Silver of fivethrityeight.com. During the election I was OBSESSED with his website, I read it religiously. So much so that one of my friends joked that I should move to Chicago, track Nate down, and marry him. And when I went away at the end of October not only did I get updates directly from the website sent to my phone, but I also made my friend (the same one who made fun of me) send me daily updates. Sick, I know. But he was on Rachel Maddow tonight and it just reminded me that I need to continue to read his site.

No comments:

Post a Comment