Monday, March 16, 2009

Another Museum

I will, in the near future, do a post about my job. It's a job, it makes me a very modest amount of money and most of the time I enjoy it, a lot of the time I'm bored, and a small amount of the time I hate it and start planning my out. But, in the end, I get to do some cool stuff. Like today, I got to go with my boss to the International Center of Photography on a sales call. 
 
Witnessing the sales calls was as to be expected (not too thrilling), but the really exciting part came after the sales call was over. They are currently in the beginning of a series of exhibits called A Year in Fashion. Normally the museum is closed on Monday, but since we were there and it's about the most relaxed place in the world we got a private view of the exhibits. We saw Edward Steichen's Conde Nast years, which are gorgeous pictures, if a little repetitive. Then we went to look at the This is Not a Fashion Photograph exhibit, which was my favorite. It showed how contemporary photographers from WeeGee to Gordon Parks to Walker Evans to Cindy Sherman and their decidedly not fashion photography photographs had an impact on fashion photography. I would definitely recommend going to see it before it closes.

Something I would not recommend is the movie Sunshine Cleaning. It was cute enough and Emily Blunt, Amy Adams, and Alan Arkin are all great, but it just fell flat. The story isn't developed enough and it's one of those movies where all the funny parts are in the preview. Definitely a DVD movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment